NOTICE!

Hey Folks! I started this blog before pinterest came along, or before I found it, at least. A lot of the posts here are merely links to things I wanted to remember. I need space on my account, so if you find something you like, open the link and then pin it quick, as I will be deleting the posts that are not my original ideas.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Time for a Fire Drill

Today I ran out to the mailbox, stopped to pick a few long-ignored weeds, and came right back inside. My little three year old told me, "Mom, I heard a beep. I heard the phone."  I showed no missed calls and dismissed her announcement. That is until my CO2/Smoke Detector went off 30 seconds later.  I love that it talks, but I didn't understand what it said from the other room.  Don't make the mistake of waiting underneath it if it has a high decibel output, my ears are still ringing from the next alarm.  It was time to change the batteries. 

Here are some tricks I have learned from today:
1- Keep the manual nearby! We have a hall closet just a few feet away from our main floor alarm.  It was so nice to be able to pull it out and get right to the solution.  I would not have known how to remove the alarm without it. My alarm also asked for a specific brand of battery, so that was good to know.
2- Keep some earplugs with the manual! I wish I had put these in before I waited below the blasted thing.  They were very handy while changing and testing the batteries. (Plus, you are supposed to test often, weekly or monthly depending on the model.)
3- Bring a sturdy step stool. Luckily I had one nearby, I didn't have to learn this one the hard way!
4- A pen. My manual has to blank pages in the back that are a perfect place to write down the date I changed the batteries last. 
5- Put it on your calendar.  I had it on mine for last week but ignored it. Next time I hope to change them before they run out.
6- Make sure you have them in all the proper places. At least one per level of your home and one near or in all sleeping areas. Specific instructions can be found in the manual.

If you are interested in knowing more about fire alarms, including the latest recall information, go to the U.S. Fire Administration Website

We will be holding a fire drill sometime soon. We will make a fun night of it with activities from the US Fire Administration's Website for Kids

What do you do to practice fire safety in your home?

No comments:

Post a Comment