NOTICE!

Hey Folks! I started this blog before pinterest came along, or before I found it, at least. A lot of the posts here are merely links to things I wanted to remember. I need space on my account, so if you find something you like, open the link and then pin it quick, as I will be deleting the posts that are not my original ideas.

Friday, June 19, 2009

Cool Your Home for Less


We use this method in place of AC for as long as the temperature permits.

There are many websites that detail the best way to do this, but here is the general idea. Cool and ventilate your home by placing a fan blowing out on one end of the home, and opening a window on the other side. This creates a negative pressure and draws cool nighttime air into your home.

I try to follow the recommended AC setting of 78 degrees. So if the nighttime low is going to be below this we pull out the fans and cool through the morning hours. I shut the windows when the sun comes up to retain the cool air. Sometimes this is enough to get us through the day without AC at all.

We also use ceiling fans to create a breeze- that works similarly to a wind chill and makes it feel even cooler.

Here are some sites with details:

No comments:

Post a Comment